Sunday, May 26, 2013

Memorial Day

There is no air.
I can not breath.
Slow motion, snap shots.
I fall.

It's panic and terror.
My head is spinning.
I cry out.
Justin is dead.

Plans are made.
We rush to her.
My widow sister.
She is a porcelain sculpture.

We wait.
Soldiers are sent
To tell his mother.
We wait.

Endless food.
No appetite.
I read Slaughter House 5.
Clueless plays in the background on repeat.
What is happening?

Letters keep coming.
From Justin.
Because they wrote everyday.
Letters for days.
Heartbreaking.

Then we're home.
His body is here.
The wake.
Soldiers guard his body.
They are so still.
A sacred responsibility.
So many people.
Katie is so strong.
Angie is so strong.
Kristin is so strong.
They just keep going.
Comforting others.
I am in awe.
I am broken.

We go to the church.
Every seat is filled.
I read Ecclesiastes.
Slow and steady.
I am strong for Katie.
I am strong for Justin.

The cemetery.
Katie borrows my sun glasses.
I would give her anything.
Role call.
Once.
Twice.
Three times.
Silence.
The guns fire.
It's too much.
The flag is folded.
Handed to my sister.
Rest in peace.

We remember.
Every day.
Today the nation joins us.
Sgt. Justin Garvey.
Son.
Husband.
Brother.
Friend.
Soldier.
Hero.

We will never forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment