Sunday, January 20, 2013

LCM Day.

So, you know how in math when you're trying to find the least common multiple you make list of multiples until you find a match? You keep going and going and eventually things line up?

2: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20...
5: 5, 10...

In any given month events can be staggered so nicely, then BOOM least common multiple day.  Everything lines up just right so that everything is happening all at once.  Yesterday was a LCM day.

We volunteer at the Route One Day Center on the third Saturday of the month.  Our community group makes lunch.  For about 70 people.  We made this really tasty roasted chicken, potatoes and carrots. Cooking, serving, visiting and cleaning filled the morning and afternoon.

I came home and went straight back to the kitchen.  Once a quarter I make coffee hour treats for church.  This is every four months.  Sunday was my day.  So, I whip up a batch of my favorite peanut butter Reese's cookies--pop them in the oven. Mix up the dough for the next batch... then it hits me: we have people with nut allergies at our church.  I can't bring these 4 DOZEN peanut butter cookies there!  Where is my brain? Think... think... oh wait-we have to go!

Several weeks ago, made a plan with friends to have dinner.  We randomly chose THIS weekend.  Nothing ever happens in January, right?  [LCM day.]  I finished my accidental cookies, threw our stuff in the car and had a lovely evening. 

Got home and went straight back to the kitchen.  Phew!  I ended up making Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars and Apple Muffins [confession: they're cupcakes].  Crawl into bed after midnight...

I really do love cooking for a crowd, serving at the Day Center, baking, sharing a meal with great friends, baking and Sunday morning coffee hour at Metanoia.  Next month, maybe just not all in one [least common multiple] day.

No comments:

Post a Comment