Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Locked Out

I don't have the best history with cars...  So much so, that my father's speech at our rehearsal dinner was pretty much about this topic.  I wouldn't say I'm a bad driver-- I just do not so smart things with cars and weird things happening to me while attempting to operate vehicles.

I got my driver's license at 16 and was lucky enough to have a car to drive.  I'm now 31 and have had 8 cars.  Yes, 8.  I'd like to say that this is because most of them were at the end of their lives.  Honestly, I may have pushed some of them over the edge.  Oil changes were not at the top of my priority list in college.

So, [grab some note cards Dad] I had an interesting morning.  Tuesdays are library days in our family schedule.  The boy really looks forward to story time.  I wanted to leave a little early to leave time to play before hand.  The thermometer read a chilly 10 degrees.  Like any good Vermonter, decided to warm up the car.  I ran out and turned on the car.  Then it occurred to me: I hadn't sufficiently bundled up my boy.  I shouldn't leave my car running and unlocked!  So, I took the unlock key button thing off my key ring and locked my car.  My running car.  Back in the house, I dressed the boy in multiple layers, grabbed my purse, hustled out the door and locked it behind me.  Unlock button. Nothing. Hmm. Unlock button.  Nothing.  UNLOCK BUTTON!  UNLOCK BUTTON!  UNLOCK BUTTON... nothing.  And there I stopped short.  I looked ahead of me at my locked, running car.  I looked behind me at my locked door.  I looked beside me at my red nosed son.  I looked into my purse to realize my phone was warmly plugged into the charger in my bedroom.  Well, phooey.

The events that followed included rushing around the house checking doors and windows for any way into the house.  It. was. cold.  My sweet cottagey home came complete with stones strewn about the property.  Which of these lucky stones, I wondered to myself, would be the right one to break either my car window or house window?  Thankfully, it did not come to that. 

In the end, I managed to find my way to our house.  Necessity is the mother of invention.  I will not say how--for all those rascals frequenting my blog and wondering how best to break in.  But, I did it.

We didn't make story time today.  My car sat in the driveway, running, for two hours.  But all in all--we were safe and warm while we waited.  For that, I am VERY grateful.

There you go, Dad.  New material for my Mother of the Year award banquet.

        

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my sweet Kristen. I hope I said more at the rehearsal dinner than just the car episodes. I wanted to use a funny situation to say how proud I am of you. Tuesday's lock out is no exception. You are amazing! And I am very blessed.

    ReplyDelete